Sunday, February 12, 2017

3 years later

Whoops, I forgot this blog existed!

It has been 3 years, 2 months since Lasik.     I'm still not regretting the experience, though I would've chosen a different doctor in retrospect.  (PAY FOR THE BEST CARE YOU CAN AFFORD PEOPLE)

Tear production isn't 100% normal, though I'd say 80-90% on good days.   I completely quit using eye drops this winter, though out of sheer laziness.     This probably degraded my vision slightly, but I didn't suffer major discomfort.     A new bottle of Oasis Tears came in this week and I'm back on a regular habit again.

One significant side-effect that I'm attributing to the procedure are the dark circles under my eyes.   I've always had slight darkness, but from analyzing my photos from before and after, it wasn't until the Lasik that they got darker.     This is a correlation and not causation type of theory.   I'm sure I've changed my lifestyle in other ways.

I regularly take 450 or 900mg of Algal DHA and often eat other Omega3 sources of food.   The algal oil is not only good for vision, but does wonders for your brain.   I read Power Up Your Brain by David Perlmutter and had my mind blown by the goodness of DHA.


Anyhow, my vision has degraded slightly since the initial procedure, but I'm still seeing much better than pre-Lasik.   I quit taking vision tests but I'm probably at 20/30 or 20/25 on a good day.   It seems to have stabilized here but it's difficult to say.  

I wear glasses to drive at night.  It's not a must, but helps tremendously with depth perception on unfamiliar roads.    The prescription is -0.75 in both eyes.

What I find interesting is that I see much better with polarized sunglasses on in the daytime.  (non prescription).     I can read much further away and it feels like I have close to 20/20.    Without glasses, it's much more difficult.   I'm still sensitive to light.

The halos have faded in effect, but they're still there.   I still enjoy them but they can prove distracting in heavy traffic.

I'm hoping that my vision has stabilized for the next several years of my life.    As is, the myopia is just enough to be annoying, but not detrimental to my daily life.      

1 comment:

  1. I was always considering getting Lasik, because I hate glasses and lenses. But I never really knew what it is like, so I am refraining until now. But now I know...it’s pretty good I see, although perhaps not perfect. But I was always looking for someone who did it to tell me how it went and what it felt like.

    ReplyDelete